We understand that many in the industry are having issues finding employees for the upcoming season and the PCA wants to try to be part of the solution, even if you are not a member.
We are currently seeking applicants for the position of Geronimo Captain.
This position balances time on board Geronimo as Captain with time ashore supporting the program. During time on Geronimo, the captain will assure the safe operation of the vessel and lead the experiential program. Up to nine St. George’s School students sail on board for 1-6 week-long programs throughout the year. Our programs focus on marine science, navigation, seamanship, and leadership. Some onshore duties include serving as the primary contact between the vessel and school, assisting with the student application process, meeting with students before and after they voyage, hiring professional crew, program development, planning maintenance, promoting the program and supporting the school as needed.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities: While on board:
● Assure the safe operation of the Sailing School Vessel Geronimo.
● Engage students in a high-quality experiential program that focuses on building maritime and leadership skills.
● Plan and lead excursions ashore and activities on board.
● Teach the Marine Science course. This is a full-credit course with regular classes, assessments, and projects that includes elements of navigation and seamanship, marine ecology and oceanography. Grades and comments are due at the conclusion of the program.
● When in The Bahamas, maintain our participation in a long-term population study of sea turtles.
● Maintain program quality and assure completion of student’s coursework.
● Oversee the watchstanding of the professional crew and serve as a watch officer. .
● Assist with meal preparation as needed.
● Assure logs on board are up-to-date; manage financial record keeping.
● Manage yard periods and oversee the maintenance of the vessel while on board.
● Regularly update the Captain’s Log on the school website.
While on shore:
● Serve as primary contact between vessel and school.
● Support Geronimo and the crew as needed.
● Identify, interview and recommend professional crew to hire.
● Manage the random drug testing program for crew; including administering pre-trip drug tests with the Health Center.
● Arrange travel for professional crew.
● Promote the Geronimo program and assist with the application process.
● Meet with students before and/or after the voyage.
● Prepare curriculum for each school-year voyage.
● Maintain research permits, submit data and write annual research reports.
● Manage paperwork, logistics, and transportation of students to and from the vessel.
● Work with school departments as necessary, including Advancement, Admissions, Student Life Office, Human Resources, Finance and Health Center.
● Participate in the life of the school and be present for commitments required for faculty.
● Arrange dockage and manage in-port logistics.
● Research new developments in safety, navigation and engineering.
● Maintain an awareness of maritime regulatory issues and laws.
● Work with USCG and ABS to maintain certificates and organize inspections.
● Organize inspection and replacement of all fire-fighting and lifesaving equipment.
● Manage vessel tracking.
● Facilitate custom and immigration requirements during international travel.
● Support Geronimo with part procurement and troubleshooting.
● Plan maintenance and replacement schedule for ship’s equipment.
● Organize annual haul-out with the shipyard and coordinate with subcontractors.
● Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
● Minimum of five years experience teaching high school or college students in an experiential setting.
● USCG Ocean Master's License with Auxiliary Sail Endorsement & STCW
● Knowledge of marine science
● CPR certification, first-aid training
● Must be able to lift 50 lbs and climb in and out of boats
● Ability to exercise exceptional judgment when it comes to safety of the crew and vessel.
Position Type: Full-time, Salary
Classification: Faculty 10-month position
Interested applicants can send their cover letter and resume to email@example.com