Master Limited 100 GRT Near Coastal License Issuance Course is designed to provide the student with the basic skills required for issuance of a USCG Master 100 GRT Original Issuance in lieu USCG Examination IAW 46 CFR, Part 10 and to insure safe navigation and Safety at Sea.
Participants successfully completing the training course for 100 GRT Near Coastal should be capable of undertaking all of the responsibilities expected of a master within their field of expertise.
The principal aim is to develop individual trainer attributes. Thus, the focus of the course is directed at prompting the knowledge, skills and attitudes, which the “ideal” Master should possess.
Skills relating to:
- Safe Navigation
- Basic Shiphandling
- Basic Seamanship
- Bridge watch standing
- Using Rules of the Road
- Knowledge Survival, Fire Prevention and Stability
Managerial aptitudes relating to:
- Voyage Planning
- Identifying and Using Resources
- Interpersonal Relationships
The Master 25/50/100 GRT Exam
The Master exam is made up of 5 modules:
- Rules of the Road - 50 questions passed with 90% correct
- Navigation General - 50 questions passed with 70% correct
- Deck General - 50 questions passed with 70% correct
- Environmental & Safety - 50 questions passed with 70% correct
- Chart Plotting - 10 questions passed with 90% correct
In your final preparations, be aware the following online course modules correspond to the exam modules:
- Rules of the Road - Course Content Module 2
- Navigation General - Course Content Modules: 3, 4, 5, 6, 12, 13, 14
- Deck General - Course Content Modules 7, Some of Module 10
- Env & Safety - Course Content Modules; 8, 9, 10, 11
- Chart Plot - Course Content Modules; 3, 5, 6, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
Many people finish the exam in 3-4 hours, however some people require closer to 6-7 hours.
Order your course materials
Head over to Amazon or a local marine retailer to purchase the following:
- Weems & Plath #176 Marine Navigation Ultralight Divider
- Weems & Plath Marine Navigation Parallel Ruler (Aluminum Arms, 15-Inch)
- Chapman Piloting & Seamanship 67th Edition (Chapman Piloting and Seamanship)
by Chapman et al.
- (Note you can use other editions but page/chapters numbers may be different than those referenced in the course. Refer to the Chapter title for reading material.)
- NOAA Training Chart: 12354TR - Long Island Sound
- NOAA Training Chart: 13205TR - Block Island Sound
- NOAA Training Chart: 12221TR - Chesapeake Bay
To Complete this Course
To complete this course, you must:
- Finish all coursework in every module including video lectures, readings, and quizzes
- Schedule and take your final examination online with Confident Captain.
- Complete the course within 12 months of starting the course
Completion of the course and exam does not guarantee your Captain's License. As part of the requirements 46 CFR Part 10, you are further required to undertake:
- Obtain a Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC)
- Physical and Drug Testing
- Complete sea service requirements
- Hold a valid First Aid and CPR certificates
Should you have any questions regarding these additional requirements, contact our office [email protected]
Additionally, please visit our Licensing Forms and Checklist page on our website for application information.